Strobe Lighter

MY LIFE. MY THOUGHTS. MY WORDS.
Thoughts of my father surface as tomorrow comes near, to mark the anniversary or day we layed him to rest in the Provo Cemetery. He was one of a kind. A great man. There were many great qualities in him that have taught me alot about myself. Memories of him have helped me grow to understand, exactly what he was trying to teach me. He taught me how to love completely. He taught us how to give. He along with my mother would give not only what they could but all of what they had. He taught us the importance of friendship and hard work. He taught be how to be loyal and to love.

Throughout his adult life, he was a victim of the bottle. For most of my childhood, he spent his nights at the bar. He wasn't always this way. His life took a turn when he was forced to move to the States after High School. He became very abusive to my mother, during our days in Downey, California. However, through it all, I have confirmed that my father remained loyal to my mother. I have traveled to Hawaii and Tonga to confirm his loyalty to my mother. He never took one step out of their marriage to one another. He loved my mother with all his heart and there was never another.

My father returned to the fold, after his long trip to Tonga. My grandmother Kaloni reminded him of the importance of his presence in our lives. He made the biggest decision in his life. He put down the bottle. This was a very serious change for him. He had severe withdrawals that included fevers and chills. The doctor had advised him to drink less each day and that quitting cold turkey may end his life. He survived on prayer and faith in the gospel. My mother had always been a very strong member of the church, regardless of her faults, she never stopped believing in our Heavenly Father. She remained a faithful servant to the Tongan members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. We were part of the Hacienda Heights 7th Tongan Branch. With much help from the Hansen's, Kongaika's and especially the Tua'one family, my father came back to the church with an unwavering testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. He was taught the discussions by Sister Silia MauMau from Salt Lake City, Utah and Sister Maka from Dallas Ft. Worth, Texas. He was re-baptized, then a year after took our family to be sealed for all time and eternity in the Los Angelos, California Temple and passed away a year later, after moving our family to Provo, Utah.

Though his life was short. It took many years after his passing for me to learn and understand what he was trying to teach me. My father was a very strict man. His love for me was tough. He expected more from me as his oldest and only daughter. With the stubbornness I inherited from my mother's family, I took the hard road through life and learned things the hard way. When times got tough, I then understood what he was trying to instill in me. I only hope and pray that he can now look down at me and be proud of who I am and what I have accomplished. I love you dad!



Loloa 'A Tonga Tuha, 37, passed away Wednesday, October 25, 1995.
He was born June 4, 1958 in Va'otu'u Tongatapu, Tonga, the son of Latu Silatolu Tuha and Kaloni Taani Tuha. He married Salote Schwenke on November 11, 1979 in Kearns, Utah; they were later sealed in the Los Angeles LDS Temple in December 1993.Loloa worked in the construction business in concrete and roofing. He was an active member in the LDS Church and served in many positions, including Scoutmaster, Secretary to the Elders Quorum, and the Young Single Adult Advisor. He was a professional boxer in Tonga, and enjoys volleyball, and fishing.

He is survived by his wife, Salote; two sons and one daughter: Siniva, Solomone, Loloa, Jr.; five brothers and four sisters; Siosaia Kafo, Salt Lake City; Latai Latu, Tonga; Honeti Latu Tuha, Tonga; Pulia Tuha, Caldwell, Idaho; Amoni Tuha, Texas; Vake Fanga Mahe, New Zealand; Lolohea Fonua, Salt Lake City; Emeli Afemui, Tonga; Salesi Tuha, Hawaii. He was preceded in death by father, Tevita; one brother and one sister: Tupou Neiufi; Makelani Ngaue.

Funeral services will be held on Saturday, November 4, 1995, at 11 a.m. at the Sunset 12th Ward Chapel, 1090 West 1020 South, Provo, under the direction of Walker Mortuary of Provo. Friends may call Friday from 6-8 p.m. at the Sunset Stake Center chapel, 1560 So. 1100 West, Provo, or one hour prior to the services at the Sunset 12th Ward Chapel. Burial will be in the Provo City Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment