Strobe Lighter

MY LIFE. MY THOUGHTS. MY WORDS.

Prayer changes things.



"Gratitude expressed to our Heavenly Father in prayer for what we have brings a calming peace-a peace which allows us to not canker our souls for what we don't have. Gratitude brings a peace that helps us overcome the pain of adversity and failure. Gratitude on a daily basis means we express appreciation for what we have now without qualification for what we had in the past or desire in the future. A recognition of and appreciation for our gifts and talents which have been given also allows us to acknowledge the need for help and assistance from the gifts and talents possessed by others."

-Robert D. Hales, "Gratitude for the Goodness of God", Ensign, May 1992, 63

Confession: I have a bad temper, very bad temper. I don't know what comes over me, when I'm upset, but I lose control and it's ugly. It's the ugliest thing my husband, daughter and the rest of my family and friends have witnessed. My husband once said, he didn't recognize me. I lost control of my temper and tore up my entire home. My husband grabbed me by the shoulders to get a look at me. As he gazed into my eyes, he asked me if I was still there with him, because he did not recognize me. This scared the daylight out of me. I was put on anti-depressants for over two years ago, then onto anti-psychotic medication for a year. These medications kept me so tired, that I couldn't argue and at times, I was too tired to think of what to say or how to react to anything. I'm proud to say that it's been 3 months, since I've taken any of those prescriptions. Crazy, I know, but honestly... Prayer saved me; it got me through my depression, anger and self-loathing, back to a place of innocence. Not just daily routine prayers, but heart felt prayers... morning, mid-day and night. Family, couple and individual prayers.

I need the Lord's hand in my life and I'm truly grateful for it. He has blessed my life tremendously. Prayer has brought so much peace in our home. Pray continues to humble me. I always find humility in my prayers. I always find comfort and love in my prayers. My prayers have kept me in track with my goals for this year. It's make Family Home Evening on Mondays, Keeping the Sabbath Holy on Sundays and Scripture Reading Daily an easy thing to do. Prayer has helped me clean up my old potty mouth. It's made me stay accountable for the things I say I will do. It's kept me in line. My prayers have made me 100% active in church, callings, visiting teaching, counseling my friends and family and servicing those in need. I really feel my Savior's love. I feel the Lord's love for me and my family. What an impact prayer has made in our home, family and lives. I bear you my testimony of prayer and the amazing blessings it brings. I know the Lord and our Savior lives and through my own experiences I have received my own confirmation that the things I have know are true. May we all be more prayerful this year. It's a special year and I'm not going to waste it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment